Monday, May 25, 2015

Homeward Bound

Travel Day

  • Fernie, BC to Calgary, AB via BC 3, AB 3, AB 22 and AB 22X
Sparwood is about a half hour past Fernie, BC on Highway 3, aka The Crow's Nest Highway. The "big truck" is in Sparwood. Whenever I go by, I take a picture. I have lots of pictures of the "big truck". Here is another one.

The big truck is a coal hauler from the Elkview Coal Mine, the second largest mine in BC. This gentle slope is not some soft mountain side, but the outer berm of a massive open pit operations.

Home, sort of. Almost home.

A stop at the Frank Slide is always in order when I drive through the Crow's Nest Pass. I always reminds me of the Hope Slide, which happened when I was 10 years old. I remember the temporary road through that slide. And it looks a lot like the Frank Slide.

This is the slide rubble field. That hillside up there is what fell down into the valley.

Just like the Hope Slide, the road goes right through the Frank Slide. Even after 100 years there is nothing growing in most of the rubble field.

My last shot for the day. Rubble is not all small. After taking this shot I got the call about my apartment not being ready for three more weeks. I got distracted and didn't take any more pictures. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment