Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Revelstoke to Vancouver

Travel Day

  • Revelstoke to Vancouver via Highway 1, Highway 5, and Highway 1
This is the lobby of the Hillcrest Inn, the hotel where I stayed in Revelstoke. Note the wheelchair ramp on the right, from the upper lobby to the lower lounge.

This is looking back at the lower lounge from the door to the bar.

The door to the bar; level entry, easy access.

This is the bar itself. I spent a lot of time here. In fact I never made it next door to the restaurant, even though it too has a level entry access.

I spent most of my time at this table, enjoying the view, drinking a nice coffee in the morning and a nice beer in the evening. I even ate dinners here.

I left Revelstoke and headed for Vancouver, where the cloud cover is the same as it was in Revelstoke. It's the wet coast.

I took a detour to check out the Vedder Canal. It was built to connect the Chilliwack River with the Vedder River when the province drained Sumas Lake, creating Sumas Prairie. This river has some of the best migratory salmon fishing in the world. Each year you can catch Chinook, Coho, and Chum Salmon. There are Cultus Lake Sockeye too, but they are protected. Every two years there is a big Pink salmon run in the river. Each winter there is an excellent Steelhead fishery too.

I've spent a great many happy hours under this bridge, fishing for salmon. I caught a lot too.

Crossing the new Port Mann Bridge, over the Fraser River, out of Surrey, headed for Vancouver.

The mighty Fraser River, looking upriver.

1 comment: