Sunday, May 24, 2015

I'm Back In Canada, Eh.

Travel Day

  • Post Falls, ID to Coeur d'Alene, ID via I-90
  • Coeur d'Alene, ID to Fernie, BC via US 95, BC 95 and BC 3
One more look out my balcony door before heading on the road again.

I turned left. I did not want to go to Moscow, nor did I want to "Float The Lazy River". I did, however, want to go to Canada with a stop in Sandpoint.

Sandpoint is a resort town on Lake Pend Oreille in northern Idaho. It is a beautiful lake with wonderful beaches and boating.

It was interesting to see all the sailboats here at the lake. It's a big lake, so I guess sailing is a thing here.

Approaching the border; still some distance away but getting closer.

This is the view from where I took the previous picture. Up there in the valley of the Kootenay River is Creston, BC. At this point the Kootenay River is headed north, up into Kootenay Lake. From there it flows out of the lake and into the Columbia River.

The Eastport, ID / Kingsgate, BC border crossing. The lineup was almost an hour for some reason. Oh well, border crossings can be like that.

Cranbook is the first major center east of the Kingsgate crossing. I took the picture but did not stay.

Instead I drove an hour further down the Crow's Nest Highway, aka BC 3, to Fernie. Sorry about the picture. I just grabbed the camera and snapped without looking.

The town of Fernie is an old mining town. Most of the original housing was built by mining companies for mine workers. Many of the original homes are essentially unchanged, but lovingly cared for.

Downtown Fernie has that funky old mining town look to it, with the square block utilitarian buildings. The city has done a lot to cheer it up, though.

There is a lively sidewalk cafe and pub business in town. Most places have something like this outside.

Even the Fernie City Hall is rather interesting looking. It is a "hip roofed barn" styled building, only done in stone. 

Just a reminder, I am back in the Canadian Rockies.

No comments:

Post a Comment