Monday, April 6, 2015

Into the Carolinas

Travel Day

  • Sandersville, GA to Augusta, GA via SR 88, US 1, I-520, I-20 and Washington Road.
  • Augusta, GA to Jonesville, NC via I-20 and I-77

We are headed to Augusta, where it is Masters week. Unfortunately a hotel in Augusta runs a minimum of $250 a night this week, and the real tournament doesn't start until Thursday. We have decided to take some pictures along the way.

Speaking of along the way, there is this cool fixer-upper just outside of Sandersville, GA, if anyone is interested.

Who is Bobby Jones and why does he have an Interstate Highway named after him?

Read the sign closely. Make up your own punch line.

As we came off the off ramp from the I-20 to Washington Blvd in Augusta, this is the scene that greeted us. The Augusta National Golf Course is just up the street from here.

Katherine liked the trees on the roof of this restaurant.

Back to Masters Week craziness. There were throngs of people everywhere, clogging the streets, going to and fro.

And then there were the parking lots, some free, some not so free.

Katherine tried to take a picture at the gate but the security guard wouldn't permit it, so this is as close as we got.

After enough of Augusta insanity, we headed north, to South Carolina.

We saw a number of these trees with purple blooms. I am going to assume they are lilacs.

We drove into downtown Charlotte, NC to take a look. I've been here a couple of times but all I could remember was the turnoff for the airport. Then again, it's been a few years. Some of the architecture here is pretty cool.

As we headed north to Jonesville, NC, the weather began to turn.


1 comment:

  1. I think that purple flower is Wisteria... or at least something related!

    And that's really cool about being in Augusta for the Masters. I was just starting my new job and I remember the salesmen all crowding around the big screens we have here for customers in the lounge. They were all watching the tour. It's really neat that you were near there at that time!

    ReplyDelete